How to Use Wheatgrass
How to Use Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass is grown in trays and then juiced with a special juicer called a Wheatgrass Juicer. You can purchase from us both electric and manual juicers. You cannot use a regular juicer unless it specifically says that it will juice Wheatgrass. Cut a handful of Wheatgrass at the base of the wheatgrass, and place tip down into the hole of the juicer and crank. The juice will come out one hole while the pulp will come out the other.
According to Ann Wigmore, Wheatgrass juice can be used as a nutritional supplement or it can be used as part of a healing regime.
As a nutritional supplement, drink 2-4 oz. of wheatgrass juice a day or ever other day is sufficient
. If you have a health issue, then you will need to drink 1-2 oz. up to 3-4 times a day.
Any food or herb taken every day, week after week, will lose its effectiveness. Discontinue drinking wheatgrass juice 2 days a week and one week per month.
The right way to use wheatgrass juice is in small amounts throughout the day on an empty stomach. It is best to start out the day thirty minutes before you eat, or 2 hours after you eat. Start with one ounce a day. Wheatgrass has a cleansing effect and may make you nauseous if you start with too much. Start slowly and work your way up.
Wheatgrass Juice can be mixed with other fruit and vegetable juices. Do not mix with citrus. Citrus kills enzymes and enzymes are one of the most important parts of wheatgrass juice. Think about it. You put citrus juice on bananas and other fruit and vegetables to keep them from turning brown. Enzymes is what turns fruits an vegetables brown.
Pineapple juice is not citrus and is an excellent chaser or mixer with wheatgrass juice. Apple juice is a good mixer. Wheatgrass juice can also be mixed with water half and half.
As with any nutritional program results will not be immediate. Depending on your past diet, and the changes you now make in your diet will determine how long it takes to see results.
Feed back from our customers indicate 4 oz. a day seems to give the best results. Our experiences indicates that it takes a week of drinking wheatgrass to feel the energizing effects. The Wheatgrass Book by Ann Wigmore give more specific directions and recipes for using Wheatgrass Juice as a food supplement or as a medicine.
Dr. Ann Wigmore pioneered the use of Wheatgrass after experiencing its miraculous healing of her own body. In 1958 she founded the Hippocrates Health Institute in Boston. Guest stay 2 weeks at the institute consuming and learning to grow Wheatgrass and live foods. The Wheatgrass Book was written by her explaining the benefits and use of Wheatgrass from her experiences witnessing the transformation of her guest.
Other Uses of Wheatgrass Juice according to The Wheatgrass Book by Ann Wigmore
Chew wheatgrass blades or the wheatgrass juice for sore throats and stale breath.
Chew wheatgrass and apply to sore teeth or gums to help reduce swelling and bleeding.
Rubbing wheatgrass juice into the gums on a regular basis will help remedy pyorrhea.
Wheatgrass juice can be finely strained and used as an eyewash to relieve eyestrain and itchiness.
Strained wheatgrass juice can be used in the ear too help relieve the pressure and discomfort of an earache.
Strained wheatgrass juice can be used in the nasal passages to help clear and open sinuses.
Wheatgrass juice can be used as a douche too help relieve cystitis, vaginal infections, odor and itching.
According to Ann Wigmore these symptons may temporary get worse and then get better in a few minutes. If the reaction continues, discontinue use.
Applied to the skin, wheatgrass juice can relieve itching, soothe sunburns, heal cuts, scratches, burns, boils, sores, open ulcers, tumors, etc.
Apply wheatgrass juice or wheatgrass pulp to the affected area, cover with a bandage and wrap with plastic to keep moist. Re-apply ever 2-4 hours. Between re-applications, wash with castile sop and let breathe a few minutes.
Wheatgrass Juice as a Beauty Treatment
According to Ann Wigmore, wheatgrass juice can be applied to the skin to tighten loose and sagging skin.
Rub wheatgrass juice into the scalp, leave on for 2 hours before shampooing.
Juice a trays of wheatgrass to add to your bath water.
How to Grow Wheatgrass
Free Basic Genesis Wheatgrass Growing Instructions
If growing Genesis Wheatgrass in standard 10" x 20" wheatgrass growing tray we recommend 12 oz. of wheatgrass seed (1 1/2 cup). www.wheatgrassman.com
It should take 7-15 days depending on the weather and temperature. www.wheatgrassman.com
1. Pour Wheatberries (wheatgrass seed) in quart jar, rinsing several times. Let soak in water for about 12 hours. The timing is not a hard fast rule. It means to soak your wheatgrass seed in the morning and then drain your wheatgrass seed in the evening. www.wheatgrassman.com
2. Drain wheatgrass seed and rinse well. You can cover your jar with a cheesecloth and rubberband for draining, or use a sprouting jar, or just pour your wheatgrass seed into a colonder. If using a jar, set jar upside down at a 45 degree angle, let drain for 12 hours or overnight. www.wheatgrassman.com
3. The next morning, empty the Genesis Wheatgrass � Soil into the growing tray. (2 qts. of soil ) Spray soil with water to dampen. Spray with water as you spread the soil. If you spread the soil in the tray and then try to water, it will be very difficult to get the soil wet all the way through. Test wetness of soil by poking a hole in the soil with your finger. www.wheatgrassman.com
If using a different size tray, add enough soil for approximately 1/2" depth. www.wheatgrassman.com
4. Spread wheatgrass seed on top of damp soil.
5. Water the planted tray with spray bottle or watering can. Make sure the seed is wet. Keep damp for 3-4 days.
Continue to water daily, once in the morning and once at night. 60-70 degrees F. work best. www.wheatgrassman.com
The Wheat Grass Seed must be kept moist to germinate.
6. When the young seedlings reach a height of 1" - 1 1/2 ", indirect sunlight. The more sun it gets, the greener it will be. A general rule is to water twice daily. Humidity, temperature, and air circulation will determine how often you will water. What you water your wheatgrass with and how thoroughly you water your wheatgrass will effect how often you must water.
If you have a flexible spray hose in your kitchen sink, it would be ideal for watering. If you are watering with a spray hose, you are watering much more thoroughly than with a spray bottle. How do you know when to water? We lift up the wheatgrass and look under the root system. If the bottom of the tray is wet, we don't water. If the bottom of the tray is dry we water.www.wheatgrassman.com
7. Start harvesting Wheatgrass around 10 days if you are growing at 60-70 degrees f. It should be around 6-7 " tall. It may not be that tall. When the blades start getting thinner at the top and pointy you need to harvest immediately. Your wheatgrass is peaking out. You can prolong its shelf life by storing it in the coolest place possible. Some of our customers have purchased a used refrigerator at a garage sale to store their wheatgrass. It will last a week or longer. Some say, after cutting once, you can grow again for another cutting. Our thoughts are that the nutrients in the soil have been depleted from the first growing. The same is true about composting the mats when finished. If this compost is used to grow wheatgrass again, minerals needed to be added back to re-energize the soil. We don't compost our mats because of that. Instead we use the mats to mulch the top of the soil around out plants and trees. It keeps the soil moist and helps in weed control, and what ever nutrients are left in the mat will be leached into the soil around the plants. Works great in your garden around your vegetable or flowers. www.wheatgrassman.com
Poor germination: Usually caused by not keeping the Wheatgrass seed moist during the germination period.
Make sure you water well. Check to see if maybe an air vent is blowing on growing location, or if direct sunlight is shining on location.
Shriveled blades: Usually caused by not watering well. Could be air vent blowing on tray. You need air circulation but not blowing directly on the Wheatgrass.
Obnoxious odor, muddy mat: poor drainage, not enough large particles in soil mixture, lack of air circulation. If your wheatgrass is growing in temperatures that are too hot and humid, the wheatgrass will rot.
There may be times with the right combination of temperature, moisture, and no air circulation, you will experience mold growing on top of the soil. Cooler temperature, less water and an increase in air circulation will help. You can also mix 2 tablespoons of Baking Soda per gallon of water when watering. If you experience mold problems cut the wheatgrass above the mold. Then wash the wheatgrass just as you would any vegetable.
All About Wheatgrass
This e-book about wheatgrass will answer your questions, what are the health benefits of wheatgrass, what is wheatgrass? Learn how to use wheatgrass, learn how to grow wheatgrass. All About Wheatgrass has a clickable table of contents so you can easily find the answers to your questions. What are the good side effects of wheatgrass, and what are the bad side effects of wheatgrass. Do you want an example of a live food diet or do you just want to supplement your diet ? If you enjoy this website, get the book written by us, Gerald and Carolyn Gibson of Dogwood Gardens Organic Farm.
The Wheatgrass Growing Manual
The Wheatgrass Growing Manual (e-book) by Gerald and Caroyn Gibson
Drink 2-4 oz. of Wheatgrass a day as a nutritional supplement.
Drink 1-2 oz. of Wheat Grass 3-4 times a day as a healing regime.
Apply Wheatgrass Juice to Skin to relieve itching and soothe sunburns, and heal cuts.
Good health begins at the cellular level with our cells holding an electrical charge. We need minerals to hold a strong, steady and correct charge. Working in our greenhouse with different soil mixes over a period of years we developed "Genesis" Wheatgrass Soil. It is a blend of minerals I have selected that provides minerals from deep within the earth, to ancient sea beds, to north seas of Norway right down to earthworm castings. These minerals also create a soil that is said to be high in energy.
Each molecule of water vapor in our atmosphere has energy, an example would be, the accumulation of water molecules in the sky creating thunderstorms, lightning,tornadoes and hurricanes. These are some of the most powerful forms of energy known to man, all from the electric energy stored in each molecule of water.
The moon and planets have effect on this energy as can be seen in the tidal movements of oceans. Planting crops by moon signs goes back thousands of years to take advantage of this energy.
We take this energy into our bodies through the oxygen we breathe, the food we eat and the water we drink.
This energy is in our Genesis Wheatgrass Soil. This is why we have given our Wheatgrass the name, "Genesis". We feel we have taken our growing method back to the beginning. We consider it to be Beyond Organic.
Our informative newsletter, Organics and Herbs: Secrets to a Healthier Life, will keep you informed about news in organics, herbs and alternative healing. Share recipes, tips and testimonials. What will George P. say next? To subscribe, enter your email address and check the box below to have your address added to our mailing list. We promise to NEVER give your address to third parties. You may unscribe at any time. As of yet, we have not started this newsletter, as time permits we hope to get it going.